ANGUS AND JULIA STONE is simple. Take a pair of siblings and let them share vocal duties and strum acoustic guitars.The concept of
However, what makes the Sydney duo unique is that their singing styles are so dissimilar it feels like you are getting two entirely different acts for the price of one. Angus’ soft tones are very much in the vain of Tom McRae, while Julia goes for a more idiosyncratic approach and comes across as a less quirky Tori Amos.
Indeed, there are many reasons to go and see Angus And Julia Stone at The Beat Club next month. So here are six…
1. They’re very popular in their native country, so the venue will almost certainly be packed with good-looking Aussie expats.
2. They are an authentic brother and sister duo, not like that incestuous White Stripes lot.
3. Natalie Portman is a fan of their music – and she knows her stuff.
4. They are travelling 10,500 miles to play a tiny venue in Scotland. It would be rude not to.
5. Julia Stone sang backing vocals on the Travis song Battleships, so they have an affinity with Glasgow already.
6. Once you’ve downloaded Mango Tree, you can’t help but want to hear a song so beautiful played live.
4 Angus And Julia Stone – Mango Tree
b February 2, The Beat Club, Glasgow (tickets)